Associate Professor of Practice
Coordinator of Financial Journalism Stream, Undergraduate Studies
Dr So has more than 15 years’ experience in the financial journalism industry as practitioner and educator. He worked for Radio Television Hong Kong, Now TV and the Hang Seng University of Hong Kong. He was a recipient of the HSUHK Teaching Excellence Award President’s Award in 2017/18. Since 2013, he has worked with the production and graphic teams of Now TV to launch an infographic TV programme (《圖解財經》), the first of its kind in the TV industry in Hong Kong, to explain complicated financial concepts and phenomenon to the general public.
Dr. So obtained his Ph.D. from The Chinese University of Hong Kong. He graduated with a Bachelor of Social Science in Journalism and Communication with First Class Honours from the CUHK. He is a CFA charterholder.
Business and Financial Journalism
Fact-checking Misinformation and Disinformation
Digital Media and Methods
- Cheung, M. M. F, Lam, B, S. Y. & So, B. M. H. (2020). Who leads the IPO news: Agenda-building and intermedia agenda setting in a routinised and standardised news context, Journalism Studies 21:12, 1681-1704
- Cheung, M. F., Lam, S. Y. & So. M. H. (2020). “Who leads the IPOs news: intermedia agenda-setting in a routinized and standardized news context.” Poster presentation at the 70th Annual International Communication Association (ICA) Conference (May 2020)
- So, M. H. Brian, Cheung, M. M., & Lam, B. S. (2019). “Regulation, routinization and standardization: Challenges to the professionalism of financial journalism in the context of IPO news” paper accepted and presented in The annual conference of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR, July 2019)
- Cheung, M. F., Lam, S. Y. & So. M. H. (2019). “Strategic communicator or event organiser? The scope of the financial public relations profession in the IPO context,” paper presented at The 18th International Conference on Research in Advertising 2019 (Krems, June 2019)
- So, M. H. Brian, Zhang, Tianbo & Chan, Oi Yan. (2018) “Predicting Usage Patterns of Financial News Information Apps: A U&G 1.0 and 2.0 Perspective” paper accepted and presented in The 68th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association (May, 2018)