Professor Lee graduated from the Chinese University of Hong Kong with a bachelor’s degree (B.S.Sc., first class honours) in journalism and communication and a master’s degree (M.Phil.) in communication. She holds a Ph.D. in educational studies from the University of British Columbia, Canada.
She has various sorts of media experience in Hong Kong. She once worked as reporter and editor for Ming Pao Evening News and Hong Kong Economic Times respectively. She was an editor for two magazines, one published by a government cultural agency and the other by a commercial operation. She also worked for Asia Television Limited. At the Chinese University, she was the press officer specializing in media relations.
Since 2000 she has been involved in promoting media education in Hong Kong and mainland China. She is a co-founder and vice-chairperson of the Hong Kong Association of Media Education (HKAME). She has started promoting media and information literacy (MIL) after she joined the Editorial and Advisory Committee of UNESCO which developed the global MIL assessment framework. In Hong Kong, Professor Lee is a member of the Steering Committee on Strategic Development of Information Technology in Education, Educational Bureau, HKSAR Government.
Perspectives on Media and Society
News Media Management
Media Studies in the 21st Century (GE course on media literacy)
Critical Studies of Mass Media
Journalism and Society
Television News Reporting
Reporting Laboratory (Broadcast Journalism)
Editing Laboratory (Broadcast Journalism)
Online News Media
Media and Information Literacy (MIL)
Digital Media and Knowledge Society
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2019). Teachers of journalism. In Vos T. and Hanusch F. (Eds.), The International Encyclopedia of Journalism Studies. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2018). The emergence of Internet media in Hong Kong. In Y. Huang and Y. Song (Eds.), The evolving landscape of media and communication in Hong Kong. Hong Kong: City University Press.
- De Abreu, B., Mihailidis, P., Lee, A. Y. L., Melki, J., & Mcdougall, J. (Eds.) (2017). The international handbook of media literacy education. New York: Routledge.
- Lee, A. Y. L., Zhang, K., & Chan, K. (Eds.) (2017). Multidisciplinary approaches to media literacy: Research and Practice. Beijing: Communication University of China Press.
- De Abreu, B., Mihailidis, P., Lee, A. Y. L., Melki, J., & McDougall, J. (2017). Arc of research and central issues in media literacy education. In B. De Abreu, P. Mihailidis, A. Y. L. Lee, J. Melki, & J. McDougall (Eds.), The international handbook of media literacy education (pp.33-42). New York: Routledge.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2017). Promoting media literacy in China: The agency effort. The Journal of Media Literacy, 64(1&2), 70-73.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2016). Media education in the School 2.0 era: Teaching media literacy through laptop computers and iPads. Global Media and China, 1(4), 435-449.
- Fu, J. S., & Lee, A. Y. L. (2016). Chinese journalists’ discursive Weibo practices in an extended journalistic sphere. Journalism Studies, 17(1), 80-99. [SSCI journal]
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2016). Learning media literacy in urban and rural schools in China. The Journal of Media Literacy, 63 (1&2), 34-41.
- Lee, A. Y. L., Wang, T. (2016). Teaching and learning media literacy in China: The uses of media literacy education. In C. K. Cheung (Ed.), Media literacy in China (pp.11-29). Singapore: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Lee, A. Y. L., Cheung, C. K., & Cheung, M. (2016). Bringing media literacy education into the school curriculum: A tri-level adoption of innovation model. In C. K. Cheung (Ed.), Media literacy in China (pp. 31-45). Singapore: Springer Science+Business Media.
- Lee, A. Y. L., & Ting, K. W. (2015). Media and information praxis of young activists in the Umbrella Movement. Chinese Journal of Communication, 8(4), 376-392).
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2015). Media literacy goes global. In B. S. De Abreu, & M. N. Yildiz (Eds.), Global media literacy in a digital age: Teaching beyond borders (pp. 263-268). New York: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2015). Three Global world trends and media management. In C. Y. K. So, & M. Chan (Eds.), Chief editors on news media management (pp. 11-32). Hong Kong: Cosmos Publication. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2015). News literacy: The core area of media literacy. In T. Wang (Ed.), Media literacy reader for university students (pp. 57-73). Beijing: China Broadcast Publication International. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2015). Knowledge society: From media education to media and information literacy education. In P. S. N. Lee (Ed.), New perspectives on Hong Kong media (2nd edition) (pp. 265-283). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L., & So, C. Y. K. (2014). Media literacy and information literacy: Similarities and differences. Comunicar, 42, 137-146. (with C. Y. K. So)
- Chu, D, & Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). Media education initiatives by media organizations: The uses of media literacy in Hong Kong media. Journalism & Mass Communication Educator, 69 (2), 127-145.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). Moving from ML to MIL: Comparison between the Hong Kong and mainland China experiences, in S. H. Culver and P. Kerr (Eds.), MILID Yearbook 2014: Media and Information Literacy and Intercultural Dialogue. Sweden: UNESCO, UniTwin Network and Nordicom. (in press)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). Hong Kong media education in the Web 2.0 era: Engaging with the Net generation. In B. S. De Abreu and P. Mihallidis (Eds.), Media Literacy Education in Action (pp. 87-93). New York: Routledge (Taylor & Francis).
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). Hong Kong (Media Literacy). In A. Silverblatt (Ed.), The Praeger handbook of media literacy, Volume 2 (pp. 890-895). Santa Barbara, California: Praeger.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). Towards media and information literacy: A case in Hong Kong. The Journal of Media Literacy, 6(1&2), 37-41.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). The development trend of media literacy research, in J. Hong (Ed.), New trends in communication studies (pp. 640-659). Beijing, China: Tsinghua University Press. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). 21st century competencies: Essential literacy for networked lives. In S. Peng and T. Wang (Eds.), Chinese Media Literacy Report 2014 (pp.8-16). Beijing: China Broadcast Publication International. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2014). The foresight of media literacy. In C. Zhang, Y. Zhang and H. Zang (Eds.), Media literacy and inclusive social development (pp.78-85). Beijing: Communication University of China Press. (in Chinese)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2013). Literacy and competencies required to participate in knowledge societies. In UNESCO (Ed.), Conceptual relationship of information literacy and media literacy in knowledge societies (pp. 3-75). Paris: UNESCO.
- UNESCO Team & Lee, A. Y. L. (2013). Global media and information literacy assessment framework: Country readiness and competencies. Paris: UNESCO. (Alice Y. L. Lee as one of the members of the Editorial and Advisory Committee of this document.)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2013). Promoting media and information literacy in Hong Kong: A network model strategy. In E. Kuzmin & A. Parshakova (Eds.), Media and information for knowledge societies (pp. 254-260). Moscow: Interregional Library Cooperation Centre.
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2012). Online news media in the Web 2.0 era: from boundary dissolution to journalistic transformation. Chinese Journal of Communication, 5 (2), 210-243.
- Lee, A. Y. L., & Wang, T. (2012). Cultivating twenty first century skills: The goals and practices of media literacy education in Zhejiang Province. China Radio & TV Academic Journal, Vol. 253, 64 -65. (with T. Wang)
- Lee, A. Y. L. (2011). Communist movement media, 1950s-1960s (Hong Kong). In J. D. H. Downing (Ed.), Encyclopedia of social movement media (pp. 103-105). New York: Sage Publications.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2010). Media education: Definitions, approaches and development around the globe. New Horizons in Education, 58 (3), 1-13.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2010). Family media education for the Net generation, Journal of Youth Studies, 13 (2), 54-64.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2010). From communication power shift to media education paradigm change: The case of Hong Kong, Journal of Media Literacy, 57 (1 & 2), 69-72.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2010). Integrating media education with positive psychology: Cultivating happy young people. In S. Peng (Ed.), Chinese Media Literacy Research Report 2010 (pp. 13-20). Beijing: China Broadcast Publication International.
- Lee , A. Y. L., & So, C. Y. K. (2009). The development of e-commerce in online news media: Toward a core Partnership strategy. In L. Leung, A. Fung and P. Lee (Eds.), Embedding into our lives: New opportunities and challenges of the Internet (pp. 323-346). Hong Kong: Chinese University Press. (with C. Y. K. So)
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2008). Internet press freedom and online crisis reporting: The role of news websites in the SARS epidemic. In J. H. Powers and X. Xiao (Eds.), The social construction of SARS (pp. 69-90). Amsterdam: John Benjaminus Publishing Company.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2007). Media education, critical citizenship and public sphere: The ideal and practice of media education in Hong Kong. Communication and Society, Number 3, pp. 133-155. (in Chinese)
- Lee , A. Y. L., & So, C. Y. K. (2007). Hong Kong: The crown jewel of broadband for China with the second highest broadband penetration in the world. In L. S. Ha & R. J. Ganahl III (Eds.), Webcasting worldwide: Business models of an emerging global medium (pp. 279-296). Mahwah, New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates. [The book won the Picard Award]
- So, C. Y. L., & Lee , A. Y. L. (2007). The radio phone-in talk show as the people council in postcolonial Hong Kong. In J. Y. S. Cheng (Ed.), The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in its first decade (pp. 827-852). Hong Kong: City University of Hong Kong Press.
- Lee , A. Y. L., & So, C. Y. K. (2007). Global media for local Use: The development of webcasting in Hong Kong. Media Asia, 32(4), 226-233.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2006). Media & globalization. In J. J. Arnett (Ed.), Encyclopedia of children, adolescents, and the media (pp. 372-373). Thousand Oaks, Calif: Sage Publication.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2005). Between global and local: The glocalization news coverage on the trans-regional crisis of SARS. Asian Journal of Communication. 15(3): 255-273.
- Lee , A. Y. L., & Mok, E. (2005). Marching into the knowledge society: The case of Hong Kong media education. In G. G. Cai, K. Zhang, & S. Y. Liu (Eds.), Media education in information age (pp. 9-19). Beijing: China Communication University Press. (in Chinese)
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2004). Critical appreciation of TV drama and reality shows: Hong Kong youth in need of media education. In C. V. Feilitzen (Ed.), Young people, soap operas and reality TV – Yearbook 2004 from the International Clearinghouse on Children, Youth and Media (pp. 117-128). Goteborg, Nordicom (Sweden): Goteborg University.
- So, C. Y. K., & Lee , A. Y. L. (2004). Doing e-commerce in electronic newspaper: Toward a partnership model. In P. S. N. Lee, L. Leung, & C. Y. K. So (Eds.), Impact and issues in new media: Toward intelligent societies (pp.35-60). Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2003). Online news media as interactive community bulletin boards: Coverage of SARS in the Greater China regions. Media Asia, 30 (4): 197- 205.
- Lee , A. Y. L. (2002). Media education movement in Hong Kong: A networking model. Mass Communication Research, 71, 107-131. (in Chinese)
- Lee , A. Y. L., & So, C.Y. K. (2002). Dissolving boundaries: The electronic newspapers as an agent of redefining social relationships. In J. M. Chan & B. T. McIntyre (Eds.), In search of boundaries: Communication, nation-states and cultural identities (pp.72-94). Norwood, NJ: Ablex.
- Lee , A. Y. L., & So, C. Y. K. (2001). Electronic newspaper as digital marketplaces. World Futures, 57, 203-230.
- International Associate Coeditor, Comunicar
- Editorial Board Member, Journal of Communication and Education (JCE)
- Vice Chairperson, Hong Kong Association of Media Education (HKAME)
- Member, Steering Committee on Strategic Development of Information Technology in Education, Education Bureau, HKSAR Government
- Member, T-Standard+ Consortium, Education Bureau, HKSAR Government
- Member, Sub-committee on Teachers’ Professional Development (SCTPD), Education Bureau, HKSAR Government
- Adviser, Radio Television Hong Kong Programme Advisory Panel, HKSAR Government
- Column writer, “Parenting the Net Generation” Column, Yellow Bus Light, Hong Kong
- Panel Judge, Hong Kong Best News Awards, the Newspaper Society of Hong Kong
- Associate Director, Academic Advisory Committee, Media Literacy Research Base, China Radio and TV Association, China
- Member, Advisory Committee of Jockey Club Online Youth Emotional Support Program